From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] device-mapper
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:17:39
1 091215 James wrote:
2 > I upgraded a kde3 system to kde4. Along the way,
3 > to get past blocking, I had to install device-mapper.
4 > This particular system is all reiserf, except for the swap partition.
5 > Baselayout is 1.12.13 is installed. All is good. Yesterday,
6 > I had to remove device-mapper to so that udev-146-r1 could install.
7 > reading a little bit on this, it seems that I must have lvm2 installed?
8 > lvm2 is installed so all is cool?
9 > Also, I have e2fsprogs installed, but I do not think I need it,
10 > but is it a good idea to just leave it installed?
11 > I do periodically connect other hard drives to recover files and data,
12 > using a usb-2-ide(or sata) cable on this system,
13 > so ext2/3/4 support is probably a good idea, but is it absolutely required?
14 > This is a critical system for me, so I just want to make sure
15 > I'm not missing anything on the 'sunset' of device-mapper.
16 > I have not reboot yet, since all of these changes.....
17
18 I did the same steps last Saturday & have had no problems.
19 I do need Ext2 for my /boot partition, which is normally not mounted;
20 otherwise, I use Reiserfs + Lvm2 .
21
22 BTW you can continue to use a few KDE 3 apps alongside KDE 4 :
23 you need to have separate dirs ~/.kde3.5 & ~/.kde4 .
27 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
28 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
29 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca