From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] device-mapper
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 16:11:45
1 Hello,
2
3 Background:
4 I upgraded a kde3 system to kde4. Along the way, to get past
5 blocking, I had to install device-mapper. Not sure if all system had
6 it before, as I never looked that closely. This particular system
7 is all reiserf, except for the swap partition. (please no file systems
8 (flame) discussion). To see the old issues in greater detail [1].
11 Baselayout is 1.12.13 is installed.
12 All is good. Yesterday, I had to remove device-mapper to so that
13 udev-146-r1 could install. So reading a little bit on this, it seems
14 that I must have lvm2 installed? lvm2 is installed so
15 all is cool?
19 Also, I have e2fsprogs installed, but, I do not think I need it, but
20 is it a good idea to just leave it installed? I do periodically connect
21 other hard drives to recover files and data, using a usb-2-ide(or sata)
22 cable on this system, so ext2/3/4 support is probably a good idea, but
23 is it absolutely required?
26 This is a critical system for me, so I just want to make sure
27 I'm not missing anything on the 'sunset' of device-mapper.
28 I have not reboot yet, since all of these changes.....
31 [1]Subject: KDE3 removal 25 Nov 2009