From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Preparing a laptop for sale
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 07:16:50
1 On Tuesday 22 December 2009 04:59:02 Grant wrote:
2
3 > > I'll report back with Puppy Linux results.
4 >
5 > Puppy Linux has wiped the HD and installed to /dev/sda3, but I can't
6 > get it to install GRUB to /dev/sda1. I get:
7 >
8 > I couldn't mount '/dev/sda1' read-write!
9 >
10 > Working on it....
11
12 You cannot install grub to /dev/sda1 and expect it to work - that is a
13 partition, not a device.
14
15 Grub goes into the MBR of the device, and the various stage 1.5 and stage 2
16 support files are put into /boot/grub/. The install app can find those dirs
17 just fine as it is a Linux app running on a full mounted Linux system. But, it
18 has no clue which MBR you want to be used:
19
20 grub-install /dev/sda
21
22 If you need grub installed on some other device (not the current machine's own
23 boot drive), then mount that drive's /boot somewhere and do something like
24 this
25
26 grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/<device>
30 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com