From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Preparing a laptop for sale
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 03:00:28
1 >>> New problem: Booted into DSLinux, my HD does not appear so I can't
2 >>> wipe it.  blkid and fdisk -l only show the USB stick assigned to
3 >>> /dev/sda which is how I accidentally wiped it in the first place.
4 >>> I'll try another distro on the USB stick.
5 >
6 > DSLinux couldn't find my HD because it needs the "sata" boot parameter
7 > explicitly passed.  However, after doing that it crashes while loading
8 > the sata module.  This is discussed online with no solution presented.
9 >
10 >> If DSLinux is what I think it is, it may have been (on hindsight)
11 >> rather obvious that it may not support the block device your system HD
12 >> is on or the filesystem used. The DS, afterall, has fairly predictable
13 >> hardware.
14 >>
15 >> Something like DBAN or SysResCD will have a better chance of
16 >> supporting a wider array of hardware.
17 >
18 > The problem with those two is I need something that can install to the
19 > HD after wiping it.  I also need something that can install on a 512MB
20 > USB key since my 8GB key does not seem to be bootable.  DSLinux was a
21 > flop as described above, so I'm downloading Puppy Linux now.  It's
22 > about 100MB, and it has the "Puppy Universal Installer" which should
23 > install to my HD.  Hopefully it fares better with my SATA hardware
24 > than DSLinux did.
25 >
26 > Also, in case it helps anyone in the future, unetbootin has a very
27 > annoying habit of failing to download the selected ISO, returning no
28 > error, and in fact reporting installation success.  The symptom of
29 > this is a boot menu with only "Default" available, which goes nowhere.
30 >  The solution is to download the ISO manually and point unetbootin to
31 > it.
32 >
33 > I'll report back with Puppy Linux results.
34
35 Puppy Linux has wiped the HD and installed to /dev/sda3, but I can't
36 get it to install GRUB to /dev/sda1. I get:
37
38 I couldn't mount '/dev/sda1' read-write!
39
40 Working on it....
41
42 - Grant