From: Ian Porter <ian@×××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Newcomer: Nvidia from GRP and MX4000
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:47:13
1 Hi
2 On Sunday 23 October 2005 02:55, Alan E. Davis wrote:
3 > On AMD64 system with an MX 4000 video card.
4 >
5 > I have made it through an installation, installing everything from the
6 > Packages (GRP) disk. This has been a no-net install so far.
7 >
8 > Trying to configure Xorg, after installing nvidia-kernel driver and
9 > nvidia-glx.
10 > Xorg -configure
11 > then
12 > X -config /root/xorg.conf.new
13 >
14 > I also did "modprobe nvidia"
15 >
16 > I am receiving the message
17 >
18 > (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
19
20 I did not use the Xorg -configure, but these are the first things that I
21 check to make sure that there is the following lines within
22 your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
23
24 For the nvidia drivers
25 Section "Device"
26 Identifier "nvidiaCard"
27 Driver "nvidia"
28 EndSection
29
30 And there should be a link within the screen section to your (mine) nvidiaCard
31 Section "Screen"
32 Identifier "Screen0"
33 Device "nvidiaCard"
34 .....
35
36 This is my section for the Module, for the nvidia cards you need to unselect
37 the dri module and include the glx.
38
39 Section "Module"
40 Load "freetype"
41 Load "extmod"
42 Load "glx"
43 #Load "dri"
44 Load "dbe"
45 Load "record"
46 Load "xtrap"
47 Load "type1"
48 EndSection
49
50 If you have these options created then make sure there is the
51 /etc/modules.d/nvidia
52 file, mine has
53
54 # Nvidia drivers support
55 alias char-major-195 nvidia
56 alias /dev/nvidiactl char-major-195
57
58 within it (if you have to add it do an modules-update)
59
60 HTH
61 Ian
62 >
63 > Then the process aborted.
64 >
65 > I haven't found (yet) any suggestions, except to install a newer version of
66 > the nvidia-kernel.
67 >
68 > I fear I will have to upgrade the whole system now, once I can get online,
69 > which may be days away.
70 >
71 > Thanks for any suggestions.
72 >