From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Why is Gentoo so slow when internet is out?
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:10:23
1 On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:54:29 -0600 Michael Sullivan
2 <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 | Our cable internet service goes out frequently (and probably even more
4 | frequently now that winter has come to OKlahoma.) When it goes out,
5 | pretty much everything on my Gentoo system slows down. It's gotten to
6 | where just to get an application (like gnumeric) to open I have to su
7 | - to root and shut down /etc/init.d/net.eth0 until the Internet comes
8 | back on. This morning the internet was out and I'd shut down
9 | net.eth0 and then tried to run monodevelop and it refused to start
10 | giving me some message about my PC's hostname not being set correctly
11 | in /etc/hosts. I checked it and /etc/hosts was correct. Must just
12 | be a glitch with monodevelop. My question is what is it about Gentoo
13 | that relies so heavily on connecting to the internet? My network was
14 | running just fine
15 | - just the connection between the cable modem and the internet was
16 | down, but everything inside my router should have been fine...
17
18 Hrm. It's nothing in the base system. I sometimes run my laptop without
19 network, and I don't have issues. Chances are some app you're running
20 is trying to do lots of DNS queries... Does 'top' tell you anything
21 useful?
24 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (The one that looks before leaping)
25 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
26 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm