From: Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -avC cdrkit && emerge -av cdrtools
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 14:16:30
1 Joerg Schilling schrieb:
2 > Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> So you successfully unmerged cdrkit, dvd+rw-tools and kino. The
5 >> installation of cdrtools fails because of a broken symlink. I guess the
6 >> /usr/include/scsilib/scg symlink to usr/include/scsilib/usal has not
7 >> been removed with cdrkit and is now broken and the cdrtools installation
8 >> can not overwrite the link. If the output is really red it is indeed a
9 >> broken symlink and you can safely remove it, then try to install
10 >> cdrtools again or use the proposed commands.
11 >
12 > Mmmm, cdrtools may create a directory /usr/include/scg/ but the text /scsilib/
13 > is nowhere in cdrtools.
14
15 In Gentoo scg is installed under /usr/include/scsilib
16
17 Here a snippet from the ebuild:
18
19 insinto /usr/include/scsilib/scg
20 doins include/scg/*.h
21
22 /usr/include/scsilib/scg -> /usr/include/scsilib/usal is a symlink used
23 by cdrkit. It was not removed when the package manager uninstalled
24 cdrkit. At least I think so, as this does not happen here but maybe with
25 older versions I don't use.
26
27 When installing cdrtools the package manager wants to create the
28 directory /usr/include/scsilib/scg which fails as the broken symlink is
29 still in place.
30
31 >> It should be no problem to install kino again as cdrkit provides the
32 >> same functionality like cdrtools, besides the different amount of
33 >
34 > There is no active development in cdrkit, so cdrkit does not provide new
35 > features. If cdrkit did not change libscg in a way that prevents some usage,
36 > you could treat cdrkit like a 3 year old version of cdrtools.
37
38 I don't know how much work really happens with cdrkit as I don't follow
39 the progress there. It seems however you have done more work on cdrtools
40 than what happened on cdrkit besides finalizing star 1.5.
41
42 By the way I for myself say many thanks for cdrtools. I don't care much
43 about the license as long it is not closed source and I can use it
44 within my OS. I just care about the quality of the code.
45
46 >> development that happens on both projects. But i think there was no need
47 >> to remove kino at all when switching to cdrtools, because it has no
48 >> dependency on both apps.
49 >
50 > This is correct.
51 >
52 > I don't know kino but from looking at freshmeat, it seems that kino has no
53 > relation to cdrtools. Or does kino call "mkisofs"?
54
55 You are right, it depends on dvd+rw-tools maybe because of this the OP
56 has removed it from his system temporarily along with cdrkit and
57 dvd+rw-tools.
58
59 Regards,
60