From: Davyd McColl <davydm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox, downloading files and odd behavior.
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2019 05:39:56
1 On January 3, 2019 12:29:34 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >> On 02/01/2019 22:45, Dale wrote:
5 >>> I changed some USE flags.  I figure that is one thing that would make
6 >>> Firefox different from say the average user who just downloads Firefox
7 >>> from the website.
8 >> Is there a reason you don't want to try the firefox-bin package I
9 >> meantion in my previous post?
15 > That will be if I can't get a source build to work.  Thing is, I won't
16 > be surprised if it does the same thing.  I suspect this is a bug related
17 > to some permission issue or something related to it within Firefox
18 > itself.  I've wondered if I should allow Firefox to store the files in
19 > its own download directory and then move them after it is completed.  I
20 > may try that as well.
21 >
22 > Long term tho, I do prefer building from source.  It's sort of why I
23 > like Gentoo.  ;-)  It's on the list of options tho.  It would eliminate
24 > any local build configs too.  It is a good idea to at least test it.  I
25 > may try that next.  If it still does it, it isn't me for sure.  It's
26 > Firefox itself.
27 I agree it's a good idea to try the bin. Also perhaps to try to to back to
28 as vanilla USE flags as possible. IIRC, my only deviances from the default
29 USE flags are to disable pulseaudio and enable clang (though that was only
30 recently after the announcement about how it was supposed to improve
31 performance so much, and was to become the mozilla-preferred method).
32
33 Fortunately, at least Firefox builds relatively quickly, unlike chromium
34 (~40 min vs ~2.5h on my machine).
35 >
36 > Dale
37 >