From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox, downloading files and odd behavior.
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2019 06:59:03
1 Davyd McColl wrote:
4 > On January 3, 2019 12:29:34 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
7 >>> On 02/01/2019 22:45, Dale wrote:
8 >>>> I changed some USE flags.  I figure that is one thing that would make
9 >>>> Firefox different from say the average user who just downloads Firefox
10 >>>> from the website.
11 >>> Is there a reason you don't want to try the firefox-bin package I
12 >>> meantion in my previous post?
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 >>>
18 >> That will be if I can't get a source build to work.  Thing is, I won't
19 >> be surprised if it does the same thing.  I suspect this is a bug related
20 >> to some permission issue or something related to it within Firefox
21 >> itself.  I've wondered if I should allow Firefox to store the files in
22 >> its own download directory and then move them after it is completed.  I
23 >> may try that as well.
24 >>
25 >> Long term tho, I do prefer building from source.  It's sort of why I
26 >> like Gentoo.  ;-)  It's on the list of options tho.  It would eliminate
27 >> any local build configs too.  It is a good idea to at least test it.  I
28 >> may try that next.  If it still does it, it isn't me for sure.  It's
29 >> Firefox itself.
30 > I agree it's a good idea to try the bin. Also perhaps to try to to
31 > back to as vanilla USE flags as possible. IIRC, my only deviances from
32 > the default USE flags are to disable pulseaudio and enable clang
33 > (though that was only recently after the announcement about how it was
34 > supposed to improve performance so much, and was to become the
35 > mozilla-preferred method).
36 >
37 > Fortunately, at least Firefox builds relatively quickly, unlike
38 > chromium (~40 min vs ~2.5h on my machine).
39
40 Yea, it is a good idea.  Thing is, my network is busy right now.  I'm on
41 a video download binge again.  -_O
42
43 Question.  Just what is clang?  I did a eix for it but its description
44 is minimal and not to informative, if one doesn't already know what it
45 is.  If you know, what does it add to Firefox and briefly how does it do
46 it?  The reason I ask, could that help with my current issue?  I'm all
47 for Firefox being faster, even on this pretty fast rig, but I'd also
48 give it a try as well if it would fix this issue and as a bonus make
49 Firefox work better/faster/whatever as well.
50
51 Thanks.
52
53 Dale