From: Davyd McColl <davydm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox, downloading files and odd behavior.
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2019 07:20:24
1 On January 3, 2019 8:59:09 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Davyd McColl wrote:
6 >> On January 3, 2019 12:29:34 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
9 >>>> On 02/01/2019 22:45, Dale wrote:
10 >>>>> I changed some USE flags.  I figure that is one thing that would make
11 >>>>> Firefox different from say the average user who just downloads Firefox
12 >>>>> from the website.
13 >>>> Is there a reason you don't want to try the firefox-bin package I
14 >>>> meantion in my previous post?
15 >>>>
16 >>>>
17 >>>>
18 >>>
19 >>>
20 >>> That will be if I can't get a source build to work.  Thing is, I won't
21 >>> be surprised if it does the same thing.  I suspect this is a bug related
22 >>> to some permission issue or something related to it within Firefox
23 >>> itself.  I've wondered if I should allow Firefox to store the files in
24 >>> its own download directory and then move them after it is completed.  I
25 >>> may try that as well.
26 >>>
27 >>> Long term tho, I do prefer building from source.  It's sort of why I
28 >>> like Gentoo.  ;-)  It's on the list of options tho.  It would eliminate
29 >>> any local build configs too.  It is a good idea to at least test it.  I
30 >>> may try that next.  If it still does it, it isn't me for sure.  It's
31 >>> Firefox itself.
32 >> I agree it's a good idea to try the bin. Also perhaps to try to to
33 >> back to as vanilla USE flags as possible. IIRC, my only deviances from
34 >> the default USE flags are to disable pulseaudio and enable clang
35 >> (though that was only recently after the announcement about how it was
36 >> supposed to improve performance so much, and was to become the
37 >> mozilla-preferred method).
38 >>
39 >> Fortunately, at least Firefox builds relatively quickly, unlike
40 >> chromium (~40 min vs ~2.5h on my machine).
41 >
42 > Yea, it is a good idea.  Thing is, my network is busy right now.  I'm on
43 > a video download binge again.  -_O
44 >
45 > Question.  Just what is clang?  I did a eix for it but its description
46 > is minimal and not to informative, if one doesn't already know what it
47 > is.  If you know, what does it add to Firefox and briefly how does it do
48 > it?  The reason I ask, could that help with my current issue?  I'm all
49 > for Firefox being faster, even on this pretty fast rig, but I'd also
50 > give it a try as well if it would fix this issue and as a bonus make
51 > Firefox work better/faster/whatever as well.
52 It's a front-end for llvm (a kind of generic compiler) - bascially a
53 compiler replacement for gcc which has shown good compile times and the
54 Mozilla team is claiming fairly reasonable performance gains when compiled
55 with clang. It's been around a while, so it's not like you're taking a huge
56 chance or anything. It's just not quite as venerable as gcc.
57 >
58 > Thanks.
59 >
60 > Dale