From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox, downloading files and odd behavior.
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2019 07:32:01
1 Davyd McColl wrote:
4 > On January 3, 2019 8:59:09 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 >> Davyd McColl wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>> On January 3, 2019 12:29:34 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
10 >>>
11 >>>> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
12 >>>>> On 02/01/2019 22:45, Dale wrote:
13 >>>>>> I changed some USE flags.  I figure that is one thing that would
14 >>>>>> make
15 >>>>>> Firefox different from say the average user who just downloads
16 >>>>>> Firefox
17 >>>>>> from the website.
18 >>>>> Is there a reason you don't want to try the firefox-bin package I
19 >>>>> meantion in my previous post?
20 >>>>>
21 >>>>>
22 >>>>>
23 >>>>
24 >>>>
25 >>>> That will be if I can't get a source build to work.  Thing is, I won't
26 >>>> be surprised if it does the same thing.  I suspect this is a bug
27 >>>> related
28 >>>> to some permission issue or something related to it within Firefox
29 >>>> itself.  I've wondered if I should allow Firefox to store the files in
30 >>>> its own download directory and then move them after it is
31 >>>> completed.  I
32 >>>> may try that as well.
33 >>>>
34 >>>> Long term tho, I do prefer building from source.  It's sort of why I
35 >>>> like Gentoo.  ;-)  It's on the list of options tho.  It would
36 >>>> eliminate
37 >>>> any local build configs too.  It is a good idea to at least test
38 >>>> it.  I
39 >>>> may try that next.  If it still does it, it isn't me for sure.  It's
40 >>>> Firefox itself.
41 >>> I agree it's a good idea to try the bin. Also perhaps to try to to
42 >>> back to as vanilla USE flags as possible. IIRC, my only deviances from
43 >>> the default USE flags are to disable pulseaudio and enable clang
44 >>> (though that was only recently after the announcement about how it was
45 >>> supposed to improve performance so much, and was to become the
46 >>> mozilla-preferred method).
47 >>>
48 >>> Fortunately, at least Firefox builds relatively quickly, unlike
49 >>> chromium (~40 min vs ~2.5h on my machine).
50 >>
51 >> Yea, it is a good idea.  Thing is, my network is busy right now.  I'm on
52 >> a video download binge again.  -_O
53 >>
54 >> Question.  Just what is clang?  I did a eix for it but its description
55 >> is minimal and not to informative, if one doesn't already know what it
56 >> is.  If you know, what does it add to Firefox and briefly how does it do
57 >> it?  The reason I ask, could that help with my current issue?  I'm all
58 >> for Firefox being faster, even on this pretty fast rig, but I'd also
59 >> give it a try as well if it would fix this issue and as a bonus make
60 >> Firefox work better/faster/whatever as well.
61 > It's a front-end for llvm (a kind of generic compiler)  - bascially a
62 > compiler replacement for gcc which has shown good compile times and
63 > the Mozilla team is claiming fairly reasonable performance gains when
64 > compiled with clang. It's been around a while, so it's not like you're
65 > taking a huge chance or anything. It's just not quite as venerable as
66 > gcc.
67 >>
68 >> Thanks.
69 >>
70 >> Dale
71 >>
75 When I read the info from eix, I was thinking it might be something like
76 that.  Doubt it would fix my current issue so I'll save that for later,
77 when I get this issue sorted out.
78
79 Thanks for the info.
80