From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] linux authentication server
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 09:52:12
1 Am Donnerstag, 10. Mai 2007 schrieb ext Daniel Iliev:
2 > On Thu, 10 May 2007 16:42:48 +0930
3 >
4 > Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
5 > > Hi all,
6 > >
7 > > this one's a bit OT...
8 > >
9 > > I have a linux server and multiple (<10) windows xp clients. So far,
10 > > each windows client has it's own user and password info stored on it.
11 > > This slowly becomes harder to manage as a user has to have an account
12 > > on each machine, and has to change passwords in multiple places.
13 > >
14 > > Therefore, I'm looking for an active directory kindof server for
15 > > linux. I have minimal experience with AD, if it even is available the
16 > > way I think it is for linux, but I have no doubt I can pick up the
17 > > administration. Your opinion on your favourite, and why, would be
18 > > very useful to me. Any tips / howto would also be great.
19 > >
20 > > thanks!
21 >
22 > A possible free solution is using samba as PDC and an LDAP
23 > authentication. Check theese out:
24
25 Since Win XP also uses Kerberos 5 for authorization, adding a KRB 5 server
26 to this may also be a good idea. Avoids to have passwords accessible
27 anywhere (even not in encrypted form) and allows for true "single sign on".
28
29 > http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/index.html
30 > http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/
31
32 http://sial.org/howto/kerberos/windows/
33
34 Bye...
35
36 Dirk
37 --
38 Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
39 Configuration Manager | Fax: +49 (0)211 47068 111
40 Capgemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@×××××××××.com
41 Wanheimerstraße 68 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com
42 D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
43 GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: www.keyserver.net