From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ncurses; I think I wrecked my fresh install
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 02:54:26
1 On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 11:52:21PM +0100, tastytea wrote
2 >
3 > Bash depends on readline. If readline was built with USE="unicode" it
4 > depends on ncurses[unicode]. Try `chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/busybox sh`.
5 > Busybox doesn't depend on readline so that should work. However,
6 > portage uses bash for ebuilds if I'm not mistaken. If you have a
7 > computer with a compatible CPU and unicode disabled you could quickpkg
8 > bash there and try to install it on the new computer. Or maybe copying
9 > /bin/bash over is enough.
10 >
11 > unicode is one of the useflags that are a real pain to disable after
12 > install. :-(
13
14 I did another install<G>. At the very beginning, after selecting
15 profile I emerged gentoolkit, and used it to track down additional
16 dependencies. I put "-unicode" in USE in make.conf and eventually ended
17 up running...
18
19 emerge -1 readline
20 emerge -1 nano procps util-linux
21 emerge -1 ncurses
22
23 Note: the order is extremely important. This was just before the
24 point where the manual said to run...
25
26 emerge --ask --verbose --update --deep --newuse @world
27
28 ...which emerged 24 items, and would likely have led to more dependencies.
31 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
32 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications