From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ncurses; I think I wrecked my fresh install
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 22:52:31
1 On 2020-12-28 16:36-0500 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > The previous couple of attempts, the install on my XPS 8940 died on
4 > rebuilding ncurses when I copied over my full USE string from my
5 > current desktop and updated world. This time around, I did it in
6 > pieces. I added some variables, and emerged update,
7 > rinse-lather-repeat.. This time the problem happened when I added...
8 >
9 > "-pch -roaming -sendmail -spell -tcpd -udev -udisks -unicode -upower
10 > -xinerama"
11 >
12 > to the USE string. The ncurses build died, followed immediately by
13 > bash.
14 >
15 > […]
16 >
17 > livecd /mnt/gentoo # chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
18 > /bin/bash: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfow.so.6:
19 > cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
20
21 Both the tinfo and the unicode use-flags are necessary if you need
22 libtinfow.so. From the ebuild:
23
24 if multilib_is_native_abi ; then
25 gen_usr_ldscript -a \
26 "${NCURSES_TARGETS[@]}" \
27 $(use tinfo && usex unicode 'tinfow' '') \
28 $(usev tinfo)
29 fi
32 Bash depends on readline. If readline was built with USE="unicode" it
33 depends on ncurses[unicode]. Try `chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/busybox sh`.
34 Busybox doesn't depend on readline so that should work. However,
35 portage uses bash for ebuilds if I'm not mistaken. If you have a
36 computer with a compatible CPU and unicode disabled you could quickpkg
37 bash there and try to install it on the new computer. Or maybe copying
38 /bin/bash over is enough.
39
40 unicode is one of the useflags that are a real pain to disable after
41 install. :-(
42
43 Kind regards, tastytea
46 Get my PGP key with `gpg --locate-keys tastytea@××××××××.de` or at