From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] ncurses; I think I wrecked my fresh install
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 21:37:12
1 The previous couple of attempts, the install on my XPS 8940 died on
2 rebuilding ncurses when I copied over my full USE string from my current
3 desktop and updated world. This time around, I did it in pieces. I
4 added some variables, and emerged update, rinse-lather-repeat.. This
5 time the problem happened when I added...
6
7 "-pch -roaming -sendmail -spell -tcpd -udev -udisks -unicode -upower -xinerama"
8
9 to the USE string. The ncurses build died, followed immediately by
10 bash.
11
12 Grub doesn't seem to work properly, i.e networking and other bootup
13 stuff did not take effect. I booted from the install USB, and set up
14 ssh. When I reach the chroot part, I get...
15
16 livecd /mnt/gentoo # mount --types proc /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
17 livecd /mnt/gentoo # mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
18 livecd /mnt/gentoo # mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/sys
19 livecd /mnt/gentoo # mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
20 livecd /mnt/gentoo # mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/dev
21 livecd /mnt/gentoo # chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
22 /bin/bash: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfow.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
23
24 Here's my USE string, which works fine on two other machines...
25
26 USE="X apng ffmpeg introspection jpeg opengl openmp png szip truetype x264 x265 xorg threads vala -acl -arp -arping -berkdb -bindist -bles -caps -chatzilla -cracklib -crypt -elogind -filecaps -gallium -gdbm -gmp-autoupdate -graphite -gstreamer -iconv -ipc -iptables -ipv6 -jemalloc3 -libav -libglvnd -llvm -manpager -nls -pam -pch -roaming -sendmail -spell -tcpd -udev -udisks -unicode -upower -xinerama"
27
28 Any ideas? I have 2 other computers where it works just fine. On the
29 new machine it dies. A re-install is one thing. I just want to make
30 sure it doesn't die again on me. On my other machines I tried...
31
32 equery b libtinfow.so.6
33
34 ...and also...
35
36 find / -name libtinfow*
37
38 Zip/zilch/nada. This appears to be something unique on the new
39 install. Is this a clue?
42 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
43 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications