From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT?]Text editor and scripting weirdness
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:34:26
1 Hi all,
2
3 I was having a nice day when this started happening completely out of
4 the blue (no emerges, no changes, no nothing prior to what I'm about to
5 explain):
6
7 I use Openbox, and I finally just started setting it up to use more of
8 its features, notably the dock.
9
10 Now, I always ran OB from a script (pointed the exec line in the
11 usr/share/xsessions openbox.desktop entry to point to it), in order to
12 start various apps (feh, pypanel, gnome-settings-daemon, numlockx) prior
13 to starting OB itself.
14
15 So I added the dockapp entries to this script, and (after some
16 tweakage), all was well.
17
18 Until I logged out and back in, and suddenly OB would not start from the
19 script-- well, it would, but I'd get the 'your session has lasted less
20 than 10 seconds' error.
21
22 ~/.xsession.errors said that there was an unexpected EOF at the end of
23 the script.
24
25 And sure enough, there is an extra (blank) line after exec openbox,so
26 the error itself makes sense, kinda.
27
28 The problem is, I can't get rid of it.
29
30 I usually edit the script in gedit, but I've edited out that blank line
31 in nano, kate, and nedit as well, and it keeps coming back (I edit it
32 out, save the file, try logging in via the script, error recurs).
33
34 I can get into OB by changing the .desktop entry back to Exec=openbox
35 (but then of course I have nothing but the menu), and I can run the
36 (modified to remove 'exec openbox') script after OB has started, and all
37 my dockapps and helper apps appear normally.
38
39 But this is obviously not optimal (unless anyone knows a way to make OB
40 run the script itself when it starts, but if we could do that, we
41 wouldn't have to be editing ~/.xsession or writing extra scripts in the
42 first place).
43
44 What I want is to permanently get rid of this bogus EOF in my script, so
45 that it works the way it did 3 hours ago.
46
47 Does this ring a bell to anybody?
48
49 Holly