From: Moshe Kaminsky <kaminsky@××××××××××××.il>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT?]Text editor and scripting weirdness
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:55:59
1 Hi,
2
3 * Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl> [30/08/05 17:30]:
4 >
5 > Hi all,
6 >
7 > I was having a nice day when this started happening completely out of
8 > the blue (no emerges, no changes, no nothing prior to what I'm about to
9 > explain):
10 >
11 > I use Openbox, and I finally just started setting it up to use more of
12 > its features, notably the dock.
13 >
14 > Now, I always ran OB from a script (pointed the exec line in the
15 > usr/share/xsessions openbox.desktop entry to point to it), in order to
16 > start various apps (feh, pypanel, gnome-settings-daemon, numlockx) prior
17 > to starting OB itself.
18
19 Why do you have to modify the .desktop file? don't you have an option in
20 the display manager to choose the xsession file?
21 >
22 > So I added the dockapp entries to this script, and (after some
23 > tweakage), all was well.
24 >
25 > Until I logged out and back in, and suddenly OB would not start from the
26 > script-- well, it would, but I'd get the 'your session has lasted less
27 > than 10 seconds' error.
28 >
29 > ~/.xsession.errors said that there was an unexpected EOF at the end of
30 > the script.
31 >
32 > And sure enough, there is an extra (blank) line after exec openbox,so
33 > the error itself makes sense, kinda.
34
35 I find it highly unlikely that this is the problem. This should be just
36 a regular shell script, and should have no problems with blank lines.
37 Can you post this file?
40 > The problem is, I can't get rid of it.
41 >
42 > I usually edit the script in gedit, but I've edited out that blank line
43 > in nano, kate, and nedit as well, and it keeps coming back (I edit it
44 > out, save the file, try logging in via the script, error recurs).
45
46 The convention is that text files should end with an eol. I guess these
47 editors add it. I know vim does it, unless you explicitly ask it not to.
50 > I can get into OB by changing the .desktop entry back to Exec=openbox
51 > (but then of course I have nothing but the menu), and I can run the
52 > (modified to remove 'exec openbox') script after OB has started, and all
53 > my dockapps and helper apps appear normally.
54 >
55 > But this is obviously not optimal (unless anyone knows a way to make OB
56 > run the script itself when it starts, but if we could do that, we
57 > wouldn't have to be editing ~/.xsession or writing extra scripts in the
58 > first place).
59
60 I use fluxbox, which I think is very similar, and I can specify startup
61 applications in the ~/.fluxbox/apps file. But I think using ~/.xsession
62 is better, since then if you decide to switch to another wm, you can
63 just change one line in .xsession, and still have the same other apps
64 running.
65 >
66 > What I want is to permanently get rid of this bogus EOF in my script, so
67 > that it works the way it did 3 hours ago.
68
69 As I said, I don't believe it's the problem. Can you post .xsession and
70 .xsession-errors?
71
72 Moshe
75 > Does this ring a bell to anybody?
76 >
77 > Holly
78 > --
79 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
83 I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
84 -- Douglas Adams
85
86 Moshe Kaminsky <kaminsky@××××××××××××.il>
87 Home: 08-9456841