From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] activating swap by udev event
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 19:00:29
1 On 07/01/2010 08:59 AM, SpaceCake wrote:
2 > that's good if I want to mount at a specific location, but for swap I
3 > need the device name, but this is changes depending on how many other
4 > usb drives are connected. Looks lik this is a tricky question :)
5
6 No, you don't *NEED* the device name to mount swap, you can use a UUID
7 or a filesystem label:
8
9 # swapon -h
10
11 Usage:
12 swapon -a [-e] [-v] [-f] enable all swaps from /etc/fstab
13 swapon [-p priority] [-v] [-f] <special> enable given swap
14 swapon -s display swap usage summary
15 swapon -h display help
16 swapon -V display version
17
18 The <special> parameter:
19 {-L label | LABEL=label} LABEL of device to be used
20 {-U uuid | UUID=uuid} UUID of device to be used
21 <device> name of device to be used
22 <file> name of file to be used
23
24 Just put
25
26 LABEL=cakeswap none swap sw,user 0 0
27
28 in your fstab
29
30 and use "mkswap -L cakeswap" on your USB stick.
31
32 Certainly, you'd want to use "swapoff" *before* you removed the stick,
33 so that's going to have to be a manual step so I think you're stuck
34 unsticking your stick.