From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] best practice for kernel mainteneance
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 08:54:16
1 Am Freitag 28 November 2008 09:41:55 schrieb ext Thanasis:
2
3 > Regarding kernel maintenance, mostly from the point of view of security,
4 > which is the best way to go:
5 > 1) Having gentoo-sources in /var/lib/portage/world, which would mean the
6 > sources would be upgraded whenever portage marks a newer version as
7 > stable (provided someone follows stable)?
8 > 2) Not having gentoo-sources in /var/lib/portage/world, which would mean
9 > the sources would be upgraded only as a dependency for some other
10 > package (which is quite improbable/rare)?
11 >
12 > (or, I may be missing something :-) )
13
14 Yes. Having the _sources_ upgraded doesn't gain you anything. You have to
15 actually compile a new kernel from them and reboot the system with that new
16 kernel. Do you do this right after every kernel source update? I don't. I only
17 do this when it's possible to reboot the machine.
18
19 That's the reason why I don't care kernel source upgrades via package manager
20 on any system. Only when it's possible to reboot the machine, I update the
21 kernel sources via git (much faster than installing a complete package), build
22 the new kernel and eventually update all out-of-tree modules via
23 portage/paludis beforehand.
24
25 HTH...
26
27 Dirk
28 --
29 Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
30 Configuration Manager | Fax: +49 (0)211 47068 111
31 Capgemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@×××××××××.com
32 Wanheimerstraße 68 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com
33 D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
34 GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: wwwkeys.pgp.net