From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Printer
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 19:21:46
1 On Thursday, March 1, 2018 2:52:59 PM CET Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 01/03/18 10:33, Roger Cahn wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > For my birthday (!) my children want to offer me a multifunction
6 > > printer, copier.
7 > >
8 > > I ask you for an idea which one they could buy.
9 > >
10 > > For example: Multifonction A3 HP Officejet Pro 7612
11 > >
12 > > -gentoo amd64 compatible
13 > >
14 > > -inkjet color (4colors)
15 > >
16 > > -ethernet
17 >
18 > I use these people
19 >
20 > https://www.ijtdirect.co.uk/?sct=printerdeals
21 >
22 > As you're in France it shouldn't be a problem, just watch for the
23 > currency conversion. They've been about for years dealing in refurbished
24 > kit, although I think these printers are new.
25 >
26 > All our lasers have been Dell, and there's been minimal problems with
27 > them. Our current one is the Dell 1765 multi-function, which isn't on
28 > the list :-( I think our current printers are the 4th and 5th we've had
29 > from them.
30 >
31 > HPs and Epsons are allegedly linux-friendly.
32
33 HPs work really well from linux, the hplip-software does all the configuring
34 for you.
35
36 > One thing to look out for - do you do a lot of scanning? One of the
37 > reasons I like the Dells is that they have what I call "push scanning" -
38 > configure them to connect via Samba, then you can put the original in
39 > the feeder, select "scan" on the front panel, and the scan appears
40 > automagically on the computer. With both HP and Epson, you usually have
41 > to put the document in the scanner, then go to the computer and run the
42 > scan software. A pain in the arse.
43
44 My current HP one can scan and print directly to/from USB drives. No need for
45 a computer.
46 Newer HP printers can also scan to fileshares, email,.... just like most other
47 "advanced" units.
50 Joost