From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 14:10:20
1 On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:46 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 16:02:54 +0800
3 > Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> > That was the original reason for having / and /usr separate, and it
6 >> > dates back to the early 70s. The other reason that stems from that
7 >> > time period is the size of disks we had back then - they were tiny
8 >> > and often a minimal / was all that could really fit on the primary
9 >> > system drive.
10 >>
11 >> I'm sorry, but I just can't let this one go. The reasons are
12 >> backwards. The limitation in free space was the original reason [1]
13 >> why / and /usr were separated. In fact, /usr was supposed to serve the
14 >> same purpose as /home - it was originally a directory for users. It's
15 >> only a quirk of history that served to keep most of the binaries in
16 >> /usr when the home directories were moved elsewhere to /home.
17 >>
18 >> Long story short, Unix, too, has its share of old farts that are
19 >> unwilling to embrace change at anything faster than a glacier's pace.
20 >> Just ask the Plan 9 folks.
21 >>
22 >> [1]
23 >> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html
24 >
25 > Well fair enough. This stuff is becoming more myth than fact as less
26 > and less people are around to remember how it really went. There may
27 > even have been to-ing and fro-ing moving bits around till Ken and
28 > Dennis settled on the eventual outcome in that post.
29 >
30 > Either way, we still agree. A separate /usr is, *for the most part*, a
31 > tradition applied without much understanding of the reason (most
32 > traditions are exactly like this). Most people do not actually need
33 > it.
34 >
35 > Some people do need it and can clearly state why; I am not in that
36 > group.
37
38 Personally, that post on the busybox thread tends to infuriate me
39 every time I see someone reference it.
40
41 So, sure. The reason / and /usr were originally split is because their
42 disks on the machine they were evolving this on were insufficient for
43 the original layout.
44
45 Let's look at that again, reduced: They split / and /usr because
46 unforeseen operational requirements for a given system demanded it.
47
48 And again, reduced: They did something because unforeseen operational
49 requirements demanded it.
50
51 This, right there, is the reason for separate / and /usr; operational
52 requirements can place constraints on a system such that the initial
53 configuration is no longer sufficient. It's the same reason you might
54 have a separate /home. Or a separate /home/dad. Or a separate
55 /var/cache. Every now and again, taking a folder and putting it on its
56 own disk is the simplest, quickest and most straightforward way to
57 solve a problem with the resources available.
58
59 Now, why is /usr special? It's because it contains executable code the
60 system might require while launching. But this is _only_ a problem if
61 the code on /usr is required in order to mount /usr. What if /usr is
62 on a raw disk? No special code needed there. What if /usr is on its
63 own partition? No special code needed there. What if /usr is on
64 hardware raid? No special code needed there. What if /usr is on RAID5
65 with version 0.9 metadata? No special code needed there.
66
67 There are numerous circumstances where code on /usr should not be
68 required to mount /usr. And circumstances can and have led to a
69 separate /usr on numerous systems. Some people have set it up as
70 read-only for security purposes. Some people have mounted it over NFS.
71 Some people simply ran out of disk space and put it on a new disk.
72 And, yeah, that can still happen; I've had to pull similar stunts on
73 Windows in VMs (yay, junctions!) which grew larger than anticipated
74 due to software updates.
77 :wq