From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 14:38:46
1 On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 09:08:53 -0500
2 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
5 This sentence summarizes my understanding of your post nicely:
6
7 > Now, why is /usr special? It's because it contains executable code the
8 > system might require while launching.
9
10 Now there are only two approaches that could solve that problem:
11
12 1. Avoid it entirely
13 2. Deal with it using any of a variety of bootstrap techniques
14
15 #1 is handled by policy, whereby any code the system might require
16 while launching is not in /usr.
17
18 #2 already has a solution, it's called an init*. Other solutions exist
19 but none are as elegant as a throwaway temporary filesystem in RAM.
20
21 I should be clear that I do not necessarily support Lennart's
22 solutions, but I do support his perception of the problem (at least
23 partially). We cannot support situations where *launch* code is
24 haphazardly scattered in location X and this must always work for all
25 values of X. We already have a remarkably parallel situation in /boot -
26 in order to boot at all, the code running at that point in time needs
27 to be able to find stuff, and it finds it (by policy) in what we will
28 later call /boot. I see this /usr debate as the same thing on a larger
29 scale.
32 Alan McKinnon
33 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com