From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 22:56:40
1 On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 09:08:53 -0500
3 > Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > This sentence summarizes my understanding of your post nicely:
7 >
8 >> Now, why is /usr special? It's because it contains executable code the
9 >> system might require while launching.
10 >
11 > Now there are only two approaches that could solve that problem:
12 >
13 > 1. Avoid it entirely
14 > 2. Deal with it using any of a variety of bootstrap techniques
15 >
16 > #1 is handled by policy, whereby any code the system might require
17 > while launching is not in /usr.
18
19 This is the solution I favor. Systemic structure which allows
20 dependency leakage is indicative (to me) of lack of foresight and
21 proper component role limitation, and ought to be fought.
24 > #2 already has a solution, it's called an init*. Other solutions exist
25 > but none are as elegant as a throwaway temporary filesystem in RAM.
26
27 I find virtually nothing elegant about a temporary filesystem in RAM.
28 It duplicates code that already exists on the system, and it
29 represents and additional maintenance step in system upgrades. It
30 seems almost a given that if someone is keeping multiple kernel images
31 on a system, they're not updating the initr* for each when binaries
32 that would be found in each are upgraded or rebuilt.
33
34 In Debian, Ubuntu and others, this is handled by a post-install hook
35 where the initr* image is rebuilt. To me, this honestly feels like a
36 hack. In something like Gentoo, I'd rather see package placement
37 driven by whether or not it will be needed to get all mount points
38 mounted. If that means i18n databases under something like /boot/data,
39 that seems reasonable. To me, the only cases where initr* feels like
40 the right solution are things like netboot or booting from read-only
41 media.
44 > I should be clear that I do not necessarily support Lennart's
45 > solutions, but I do support his perception of the problem (at least
46 > partially). We cannot support situations where *launch* code is
47 > haphazardly scattered in location X and this must always work for all
48 > values of X. We already have a remarkably parallel situation in /boot -
49 > in order to boot at all, the code running at that point in time needs
50 > to be able to find stuff, and it finds it (by policy) in what we will
51 > later call /boot. I see this /usr debate as the same thing on a larger
52 > scale.
55 :wq