From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 21:23:31
1 On Tue 23 August 2011 14:10:57 kashani did opine thusly:
2 > On 8/23/2011 1:43 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > I can't fix it without running afoul of the Change Management
4 > > process, and today's emergency reboot didn't leave me any time
5 > > to poke around and determine the effect of removing hal.
6 > >
7 > > This is how life in corporate IT works....
8 >
9 > I hate Corp CM and it's one of the reasons I stay in startups.
10 It's
11 > job is to slow normal change down so much so that every change
12 > becomes an emergency.
13 >
14 > However next time I have to deal with one I am shoving
15 mathematical
16 > proof of "there is no rollback in systems" down there throats.
17 > http://www.iu.hio.no/~mark/papers/totalfield.pdf
18
19 Haven't read the pdf yet, but I just have to share this joke.
20
21 Tonight's CM was an unscheduled emergency reboot. This gave me
22 opportunity to do something I've been dying to do for ages, enter
23 this:
24
25 Install plan: reboot server
26 Test plan: ping server
27 Backout plan: unreboot server <====== :-)
28
29 On the whole our CM process is sane. The manager knows how
30 infrastructure works:
31
32 If that undersea optical link goes down, I'm fixing it right now and
33 to hell with the paperwork and process.
34
35 Contrast with my gf's job at the bank. That one truly is a case where
36 to change anything, she has to invent imaginary catastrophic
37 emergencies. More often than not, she causes them in undetectable ways
38 just to get her job done.
42 > For those that aren't ginormous systems nerds this bit sums it up
43 > nicely.
44 >
45 > "There is a deeper issue with roll-back in partial systems. If a
46 > system is in contact with another system, e.g. receiving data, or
47 > if we have partitioned a system into loosely coupled pieces only
48 > one of which is being changed, then the other system becomes a part
49 > of the total system and we must write a hypothetical journal for
50 > the entire system in order to achieve a consistent rollback."
51 >
52 > kashani
53 --
54 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com