From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 21:12:05
1 On 8/23/2011 1:43 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 >
3 > I can't fix it without running afoul of the Change Management process,
4 > and today's emergency reboot didn't leave me any time to poke around
5 > and determine the effect of removing hal.
6 >
7 > This is how life in corporate IT works....
10 I hate Corp CM and it's one of the reasons I stay in startups. It's job
11 is to slow normal change down so much so that every change becomes an
12 emergency.
13
14 However next time I have to deal with one I am shoving mathematical
15 proof of "there is no rollback in systems" down there throats.
16 http://www.iu.hio.no/~mark/papers/totalfield.pdf
17
18 For those that aren't ginormous systems nerds this bit sums it up nicely.
19
20 "There is a deeper issue with roll-back in partial systems. If a system
21 is in contact with another system, e.g. receiving data, or if we have
22 partitioned a system into loosely coupled pieces only one of which is
23 being changed, then the other system becomes a part of the total system
24 and we must write a hypothetical journal for the entire system in order
25 to achieve a consistent rollback."
26
27 kashani