From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 20:44:42
1 On Tue 23 August 2011 22:16:30 Sebastian Beßler did opine thusly:
2 > Am 23.08.2011 21:43, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
3 > > Sadly, HAL is not yet dead. It lives still.
4 > >
5 > > It lives on the production database server I just happen to be
6 > > rebooting as I type this (another story for another time) and
7 > > will continue to live here for a very very long time indeed.
8 >
9 > WHY is HAL installed on a database server?
10 > I still see desktop systems with HAL, last on an newish kubuntu of a
11 > friend, but on a server? For what is HAL needed there?
12
13 I wish I knew why. The fellow that did the install might know. I'm
14 betting it's because he clicked yes, yes, yes, yes, ok on the RHEL
15 install CD dialogs.
16
17 I can't fix it without running afoul of the Change Management process,
18 and today's emergency reboot didn't leave me any time to poke around
19 and determine the effect of removing hal.
20
21 This is how life in corporate IT works....
24 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com