From: Ed Santiago <ed@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Somewhat OT] Backup software for CDs.
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 22:55:14
1 >I'm looking for something that can backup to CD or DVD and can
2 >span them over more than one CD if needed. Some of what I have will
3 >require several CDs. It would be nice if it would tar it or zip it but
4 >it is not required.
5
6 I've been in the same boat the last week, and have investigated
7 a number of options, and seem to be settling on app-backup/dar.
8 It compresses; does incrementals; creates split archives of any
9 given size; can keep an online catalog of offline data; and can
10 even encrypt.
11
12 Sample run:
13
14 dar -c /backups/root-$(date -I)-full ! what to write
15 -R / ! what to dump (root)
16 -M ! don't span filesystems
17 -s 700M ! Write CD-size files?
18 -y ! compress...
19 -Z '*.gz' -Z '*.tgz' -Z '*.zip' ! ...but don't compress these
20 -P usr -P tmp -P var/cache ! Exclude these directories
21 -D ! (write them as empty dirs)
22
23 This assumes that /backups is a separate filesystem. Many of
24 those default options can and should be put in /etc/darrc.
25
26 The above command will write /backups/root-<date>-full.1.dar, .2.dar,
27 as many as it needs. It's then up to you to write those to CD/DVD.
28
29 Note that mkisofs doesn't yet grok >2G files. At this writing,
30 the cdrtools-devel version claims to... but I'm not interested
31 in verifying that claim :-). So you can't really do -s 4608M
32 or whatever the size is for a DVD.
33
34 Lots more info, including very thorough documentation and tutorials,
35 on the project home page:
36
37 http://dar.linux.free.fr/
38