From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Somewhat OT] Backup software for CDs.
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 04:07:56
1 Ed Santiago wrote:
2 > >I'm looking for something that can backup to CD or DVD and can
3 > >span them over more than one CD if needed. Some of what I have will
4 > >require several CDs. It would be nice if it would tar it or zip it but
5 > >it is not required.
6 >
7 > I've been in the same boat the last week, and have investigated
8 > a number of options, and seem to be settling on app-backup/dar.
9 > It compresses; does incrementals; creates split archives of any
10 > given size; can keep an online catalog of offline data; and can
11 > even encrypt.
12 >
13 > Sample run:
14 >
15 > dar -c /backups/root-$(date -I)-full ! what to write
16 > -R / ! what to dump (root)
17 > -M ! don't span filesystems
18 > -s 700M ! Write CD-size files?
19 > -y ! compress...
20 > -Z '*.gz' -Z '*.tgz' -Z '*.zip' ! ...but don't compress these
21 > -P usr -P tmp -P var/cache ! Exclude these directories
22 > -D ! (write them as empty dirs)
23 >
24 > This assumes that /backups is a separate filesystem. Many of
25 > those default options can and should be put in /etc/darrc.
26 >
27 > The above command will write /backups/root-<date>-full.1.dar, .2.dar,
28 > as many as it needs. It's then up to you to write those to CD/DVD.
29 >
30 > Note that mkisofs doesn't yet grok >2G files. At this writing,
31 > the cdrtools-devel version claims to... but I'm not interested
32 > in verifying that claim :-). So you can't really do -s 4608M
33 > or whatever the size is for a DVD.
34 >
35 > Lots more info, including very thorough documentation and tutorials,
36 > on the project home page:
37 >
38 > http://dar.linux.free.fr/
39 >
40 > G'luck,
41 > ^E
44 Sounds like Kdar is what I need. It uses dar as the backend and Kdar is
45 the GUI part. I'll have to check on Mondorescue to though.
46
47 It would be nice if this was available on the Gentoo CD. I would like
48 to use it to do system backups as well. I usually boot from the CD when
49 I backup the system and use the old cp -av way. I get a lot of "file in
50 use" and some file is locked errors otherwise.
53 Thanks for the info.
54
55 Dale
56