From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 14:06:16
1 On Saturday 03 April 2010 09:55:39 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Friday 02 April 2010 23:28:26 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 21:50:09 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 > > > > Assuming your controller supports hotplugging, assuming you
5 > > > > have a drive available to plug in, assuming you are able to
6 > > > > physically add a drive.
7 > > >
8 > > > sata can hotplug. all ahci controlers can hotplug and all sata
9 > > > drives can hotplug. If you insist on technology straight from
10 > > > the stone ages that is your problem.
11 > >
12 > > I'd like to see you hotplug another SATA drive into this netbook,
13 > > whereas I can add another volume in seconds.
14 >
15 > I'd like to see him add another SATA drive to my nameservers sitting
16 > in New York or the vmhost in Nairobi. I'm in Johannesburg.
17 >
18 > Taking down that NewYork nameserver on a whim to add disks is not an
19 > option. It's an old machine, but a critical one and serves DNS to
20 > our entire European and US markets. Taking it down on a whim gets me
21 > fired.
22
23 Reminds me of that old chestnut, "all generalisations are false".
26 Rgds
27 Peter.