From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 08:59:12
1 On Friday 02 April 2010 23:28:26 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 21:50:09 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > > Assuming your controller supports hotplugging, assuming you have a
4 > > > drive available to plug in, assuming you are able to physically add a
5 > > > drive.
6 > >
7 > > sata can hotplug. all ahci controlers can hotplug and all sata drives
8 > > can hotplug. If you insist on technology straight from the stone ages
9 > > that is your problem.
10 >
11 > I'd like to see you hotplug another SATA drive into this netbook, whereas
12 > I can add another volume in seconds.
13
14 I'd like to see him add another SATA drive to my nameservers sitting in New
15 York or the vmhost in Nairobi. I'm in Johannesburg.
16
17 Taking down that NewYork nameserver on a whim to add disks is not an option.
18 It's an old machine, but a critical one and serves DNS to our entire European
19 and US markets. Taking it down on a whim gets me fired.
23 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com