From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: news@×××××××××.org
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] rsync internal mirror configuration
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 18:43:42
1 > I did not see what determines what (during a 24 hour
2 > period) controls the time the internal rsync mirror
3 > goes out to update the files? Obviously I only
4 > want the rsync internal server to update once a day.
5
6 Following that document means that you are exporting the /usr/portage
7 directory on the local box for your internal servers.
8
9 This has some implications:
10
11 1. the /usr/portage directory is not updated by this process. You still
12 need to emerge --sync the local system. This is QED by a cron task.
13
14 2. This only syncs up the /usr/portage tree but does not help reduce the
15 number of distfiles downloads. Look at http://gentoo-wiki.com/Http_proxy
16 and http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Download_Cache_for_LAN-Http-Replicator for
17 instructions there. By using the http-replicator you only will be
18 downloading distfiles/patch files once.
19
20 3. There is no additional disk space requirements for the rsync mirror;
21 you're serving up your existing /usr/portage directory so it's not like you
22 wouldn't have those files around anyway.
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list