From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: rsync internal mirror configuration
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 02:49:08
1 Dave Nebinger <dnebinger <at> joat.com> writes:
4 > This has some implications:
5
6 Ok, let's take it from the begining.
7
8 A. I followed step 4 in this document:
9
10 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/rsync.xml?style=printable
11
12 I was able to 'emerge sync' up a local client on the rsync server
13 successfully,so that part is done. Here are my client entries in
14 /etc/make.conf:
15
16 GENTOO_MIRRORS="192.168.2.9"
17 SYNC="rsync://192.168.2.9/gentoo-portage"
18
19 Test, per this document was successful, So now I can manually rsync
20 up one system and then emerge sync all of the local gentoo
21 clients manuallyor via cron (with crontab entries).
22
23 > 1. the /usr/portage directory is not updated by this process.
24 > You still need to emerge --sync the local system. This is QED
25 > by a cron task.
26
27 OK on the local rsync server I added this to automate the daily
28 task of rsync(ing)
29 # Rsync entries
30 #
31 30 1 * * * root emerge sync
32
33 Spartan but hopefully sufficent.
34
35 I have (3) other documents to follow (this should be one doc)
36 B) http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Local_Rsync_Mirror.
37 C) http://gentoo-wiki.com/Http_proxy
38 D)
39 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Download_Cache_for_LAN-Http-Replicator
40
41 (B) tells me how to edit the /etc/rsyncd.conf file and the
42 /etc/rsync/rsyncd.motd file. Also I did these:
43 etc/init.d/rsyncd start
44 rc-update add rsyncd default
45
46 This mod was already made to each client's /etc/make.conf file:
47 SYNC="rsync://192.168.2.9/gentoo-portage
48
49 > 2. This only syncs up the /usr/portage tree but does not help reduce
50 > the number of distfiles downloads.
51 > Look at http://gentoo-wiki.com/Http_proxy
52
53 OK, now I use document (C) to create the proxy entry on each client:
54 Editing File: /etc/env.d/99local to look like this
55 http_proxy="192.168.2.9:8080"
56 instead of this
57 http_proxy="proxy.server.com:8080"
58
59 I check it on the client by issuing "echo $http_proxy"
60 which give the correct results:
61 192.168.2.9:8080
62
63 So far so good???
64
65 > and http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Download_Cache_for_
66 > LAN-Http-Replicator for
67 > instructions there. By using the http-replicator you only will be
68 > downloading distfiles/patch files once.
69
70 OK here's where I use doc (D). http-replicator is masked so I
71 # echo "net-proxy/http-replicator" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
72 # emerge http-replicator
73 Which worked fine.
74
75 Then I added this line to the clients and the rsync(distfile) server:
76 http_proxy="http://192.168.2.9:8080" per the doc (D).
77
78 On the server I ran:
79 'repcacheman --user portage --dir /var/cache/http-replicator'
80 Then http-replicator start at boot:
81 rc-update add http-replicator default
84 and last run this daily on the server to keep it current?
85 emerge -uDva world && repcacheman
86
87 Anything I missed? The last part of doc (D) is a little fuzzy,
88 especially the part about deleting duplicate and deleting the
89 distfile directory.
90
91 ???
92 Surely parts of all (4) documents belong in one master howto?
95 > 3. There is no additional disk space requirements for the rsync mirror;
96 > you're serving up your existing /usr/portage directory so it's not like you
97 > wouldn't have those files around anyway.
100 Yea, well I'll keep a close eye on this. I have the server set up, and one
101 client to update manually off of the server, It all goes well, I'll add more
102 systems, and automate via cron the system that stay up 24 hours a day.
103
104 Is there a script to update workstation systems, automatically,
105 say 10 minutes after booting? How best to do this?
106
107 James
111 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list