From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD performance tweaking
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:51:27
1 Volker Armin Hemmann writes:
2
3 > Am Sonntag, 26. August 2012, 13:41:09 schrieb Alex Schuster:
4 >> Frank Steinmetzger writes:
5
6 >>> Unless the filesystem knows this and starts bigger files at those 512 k
7 >>> boundaries (so really only one erase cycle is needed for files <=512 k),
8 >>> isn't this fairly superfluous?
9 >>
10 >> Yes, I think it is. When you search for SSD alignment, you read about
11 >> this alignment all the time, even on the German Wikipedia, and many
12 >> resources say that this can have a big impact on performance. But I
13 >> could not find a real explanation at all.
14 >>
15 >> Besides that, it's not so easy to do the alignment, at least when using
16 >> LVM. I read that LVM adds 192K header information, so even if you align
17 >> the partition start to an erasable block size of 512K, the actual
18 >> content is not aligned. See [*] for information how to overcome this.
19 >> That is, if you believe the alignment to erasable blocks is important,
20 >> personally I do not know what to think now. It wouldn't hurt, so why not
21 >> apply it, but it seems like snake oil to me now.
22 >>
23 >> Wonko
24 >>
25 >> http://tytso.livejournal.com/2009/02/20/
26 >
27 > because erasing is slow. You can not overwrite data on a ssd. you have to
28 > erase first, then reprogramm. Also, erasing shortens lifetime.
29
30 Yes, I know that. But why exactly does it help to align a partition to
31 the erasable block size? I don't get it. Why isn't it sufficient to
32 align to the usual 4K block size, so that a block never spans over two
33 erasable blocks?
34
35 Wonko