From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD performance tweaking
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 11:56:23
1 Am Sonntag, 26. August 2012, 13:41:09 schrieb Alex Schuster:
2 > Frank Steinmetzger writes:
3 > > On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 12:15:20PM +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
4 > >> The size of an erasable block of SSDs is even larger, usually 512K, it
5 > >> would be best to align to that, too. A partition offset of 512K or 1M
6 > >> would avoid this.
7 > >
8 > > Unless the filesystem knows this and starts bigger files at those 512 k
9 > > boundaries (so really only one erase cycle is needed for files <=512 k),
10 > > isn't this fairly superfluous?
11 >
12 > Yes, I think it is. When you search for SSD alignment, you read about
13 > this alignment all the time, even on the German Wikipedia, and many
14 > resources say that this can have a big impact on performance. But I
15 > could not find a real explanation at all.
16 >
17 > Besides that, it's not so easy to do the alignment, at least when using
18 > LVM. I read that LVM adds 192K header information, so even if you align
19 > the partition start to an erasable block size of 512K, the actual
20 > content is not aligned. See [*] for information how to overcome this.
21 > That is, if you believe the alignment to erasable blocks is important,
22 > personally I do not know what to think now. It wouldn't hurt, so why not
23 > apply it, but it seems like snake oil to me now.
24 >
25 > Wonko
26 >
27 > http://tytso.livejournal.com/2009/02/20/
28
29 because erasing is slow. You can not overwrite data on a ssd. you have to
30 erase first, then reprogramm. Also, erasing shortens lifetime.
33 #163933