From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD performance tweaking
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 11:43:37
1 Frank Steinmetzger writes:
2
3 > On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 12:15:20PM +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
4
5 >> The size of an erasable block of SSDs is even larger, usually 512K, it
6 >> would be best to align to that, too. A partition offset of 512K or 1M
7 >> would avoid this.
8 >
9 > Unless the filesystem knows this and starts bigger files at those 512 k
10 > boundaries (so really only one erase cycle is needed for files <=512 k),
11 > isn't this fairly superfluous?
12
13 Yes, I think it is. When you search for SSD alignment, you read about
14 this alignment all the time, even on the German Wikipedia, and many
15 resources say that this can have a big impact on performance. But I
16 could not find a real explanation at all.
17
18 Besides that, it's not so easy to do the alignment, at least when using
19 LVM. I read that LVM adds 192K header information, so even if you align
20 the partition start to an erasable block size of 512K, the actual
21 content is not aligned. See [*] for information how to overcome this.
22 That is, if you believe the alignment to erasable blocks is important,
23 personally I do not know what to think now. It wouldn't hurt, so why not
24 apply it, but it seems like snake oil to me now.
25
26 Wonko
27
28 http://tytso.livejournal.com/2009/02/20/