From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD performance tweaking
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 09:28:31
1 On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 12:15:20PM +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht writes:
3 >
4 > > I'm currently just using a single large partition & ext3. I didn't
5 > > do anything special in fdisk so the partition might not be aligned as
6 > > best it could be. I don't know.
7 >
8 > […]
9 > The size of an erasable block of SSDs is even larger, usually 512K, it
10 > would be best to align to that, too. A partition offset of 512K or 1M
11 > would avoid this.
12
13 Unless the filesystem knows this and starts bigger files at those 512 k
14 boundaries (so really only one erase cycle is needed for files <=512 k),
15 isn't this fairly superfluous?
16 --
17 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
18 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.
19
20 The advantage of RSS jokes is that you always know the newest one.