From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD performance tweaking
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 22:25:02
1 Am Freitag, 24. August 2012, 11:25:48 schrieb Frank Steinmetzger:
2 > On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 12:15:20PM +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
3 > > Mark Knecht writes:
4 > > > I'm currently just using a single large partition & ext3. I didn't
5 > > >
6 > > > do anything special in fdisk so the partition might not be aligned as
7 > > > best it could be. I don't know.
8 > >
9 > > […]
10 > > The size of an erasable block of SSDs is even larger, usually 512K, it
11 > > would be best to align to that, too. A partition offset of 512K or 1M
12 > > would avoid this.
13 >
14 > Unless the filesystem knows this and starts bigger files at those 512 k
15 > boundaries (so really only one erase cycle is needed for files <=512 k),
16 > isn't this fairly superfluous?
17
18 no, if you misalign, a lot of 4k blocks might span into two erase blocks.
19 Which is bad. If you align correctly, you will never cross them unnecessary,
20 sparing your SSD some unnecessary writes and improving overall performance.
24 #163933