From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] newbie install - emerge: command not found
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:03:51
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Frank Schafer [mailto:frank.schafer@×××××××××.cz]
3 > Sent: 24 August 2005 09:59
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] newbie install - emerge: command not found
8 > On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 10:32 +0200, Assaf Urieli wrote:
9 > > Neil Bothwick wrote:
10 > >
11 > > >On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:52:22 +0200, Assaf Urieli wrote:
12 > > >
13 > > >
14 > > In fact, I'm not even quite sure that I understand the
15 > > whole concept of
16 > > mounting...
17 > > When I type:
18 > > # mount -t ext3 /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
19 > > Does the /mnt/gentoo directory already exist somewhere? If
20 > > it didn't, I
21 > > imagine this statement would throw an error. But where can
22 > > it exist if
23 > > it isn't yet associated with any partition (i.e. /dev/hda3)?
24 >
25 > First: it has to exist
26 > Second: you imagine right
27 > Third: A bolt hole can exist without a bolt in it, can't it?
28
29 Perhaps it would help if you for a minute try to break the assumed and
30 transparent (from a M$Windoze user perspective) linkage between
31 filesystem components (e.g. a directory like /mnt/gentoo) and device
32 components (e.g. a partition like /dev/hda3). The physical device which
33 contains actual data will only be connected to the software entity of a
34 directory, after it is mounted (linked) to it by means of # mount
35 <device> <path>. After that linkage (mounting) is established your OS
36 can access and read the data stored on that device.
39 > > # mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
40 > > Where am I making this directory? I would assume this
41 > > statement creates the directory on /dev/hda3.
42
43 Not as you understand it: directories are software entities, /dev/hda3
44 is a physical device (hardware). In other words, you are creating a
45 subdirectory within your /mnt/gentoo directory - a software path in your
46 filesystem. As long as your /mnt/gentoo directory has been linked to
47 the physical device of /dev/hda3 then this
48 <directory/subdirectory/.../files> structure and its contents will be
49 stored (saved) in the mounted /dev/hda3.
50
51 > > But then, in the next statement, I'm
52 > > associating it with /dev/hda4!
53
54 OK, if you were to mount your /dev/hda4 to your /mnt/gentoo/usr then any
55 relevant data produced thereafter will no longer be stored on the
56 previously mounted device (/dev/hda3), but on the newly mounted
57 /dev/hda4.
58
59 I hope this helps.
60 --