From: Frank Schafer <frank.schafer@×××××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] newbie install - emerge: command not found
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:06:22
1 On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 10:32 +0200, Assaf Urieli wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >
4 > >On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:52:22 +0200, Assaf Urieli wrote:
7 > >>BTW, /usr/bin doesn't even exist - all /usr contains is lost+found
8 > >>
9 > >>
10 > >Do you have a separate partition for /usr? If so, is it mounted?
11 > >
12 > >What you describe is a classic symptom of installing /usr on its own
13 > >partition and forgetting to add it to /etc/fstab.
16 > Oy vey, that was it! I knew I must be doing something stupid.
17 > Feeling adventurous, I decided to create a 4th partition and mount /usr
18 > onto it in my /etc/fstab, but on the other hand I didn't mount it while
19 > installing gentoo (I thought somehow the fstab would be enough)...
20 > So everything got installed on the root partition.
21 > I corrected the problem by changing my /etc/fstab to mount /dev/hda4
22 > somewhere else, and now when I reboot my /usr/bin directory contains
23 > everything that was installed on it.
24 >
25 > So, just a couple of questions to get things organised in my brain:
26 > If I wanted to mount the /usr partition while installing, would this
27 > have been the right command? Would I have to make the directory first?
28 > # mount -t ext3 /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo/usr
29
30 Former: yes, latter: yes
33 > In fact, I'm not even quite sure that I understand the whole concept of
34 > mounting...
35 > When I type:
36 > # mount -t ext3 /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
37 > Does the /mnt/gentoo directory already exist somewhere? If it didn't, I
38 > imagine this statement would throw an error. But where can it exist if
39 > it isn't yet associated with any partition (i.e. /dev/hda3)?
40
41 First: it has to exist
42 Second: you imagine right
43 Third: A bolt hole can exist without a bolt in it, can't it?
44
45 > # mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
46 > Where am I making this directory? I would assume this statement creates
47 > the directory on /dev/hda3. But then, in the next statement, I'm
48
49 yes
50
51 > associating it with /dev/hda4!
52
53 right
54
55 /mnt/
56 |
57 +- gentoo/ << this is a mountpoint (bolt hole) on /dev/hda3
58 #mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo (here's the bolt)
59 |
60 + usr/ << this is a normal directory
61 |
62 + boot/ << further bolt hole
63 > # mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
64 (with bolt from here on)
65
66 Well, every normal directory can act as a bolt hole. If it contains
67 something when you screw the bolt in (mount something) the content of
68 the directory will be hidden (that's why the commands weren't found).
71 > Another question:
72 > Now that I've got an unused /dev/hda4 partition, what should I mount on
73 > it? I can't mount /usr onto it cause /usr already exists on the root
74 > partition & is full of stuff. Can I just invent any old name for
75 > mounting (like say, /home), and then use it for storing data?
76
77 yes
80 > Sorry for the naive questions, but I'm trying to get my head around some
81 > of these concepts...
82
83 Don't worry, we all began some (ancient ;) time ago.
86 > Best regards,
87 > Assaf
93 Regards
94 Frank