From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: IDE for C/C++ (Was: Really OT now (Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 19:17:13
1 On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 2:58 PM, David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 18:35:37 -0400, Michael Mol wrote about Re: Really
3 > OT now (Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr):
4 >
5 >> It occurred to me that having a decent C and C++ editing environment
6 >> might ease some of my of the spoilage I've experienced in Visual
7 >> Studio for C++. I'll be checking it out. It'll mean learning emacs,
8 >> though...
9 >
10 > If you like Visual Studio, try Geany or KDevelop.  The former is a Gtk+
11 > program, so runs natively under GNOME, Xfce and LXDE, while the latter
12 > is a Qt suite that runs natively under KDE.  Both are *way* slicker
13 > than Emacs or vim, but do require a graphical desktop. [Both vim and
14 > Emacs can run in a text console.]
15
16 I'm not touching KDE again for a while. I got nailed pretty bad with a
17 NVidia/Konsole/KWin, and I really wasn't using much of KDE.
18
19 That said, I might poke KDevelop again; I haven't poked it in years.
20 Geany is new since I last dug around.
21
22 I do like text environments, though.
25 > You might also start reading comp.os.linux.development.apps on Usenet,
26 > if you don't already do so.
27
28 Keeping up with this list is hard enough! But, thanks. :)
33 :wq