From: Leonardo Guilherme <leonardo.guilherme@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: IDE for C/C++ (Was: Really OT now (Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 19:48:51
1 2011/9/15 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
2
3 > On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 2:58 PM, David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 18:35:37 -0400, Michael Mol wrote about Re: Really
5 > > OT now (Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr):
6 > >
7 > >> It occurred to me that having a decent C and C++ editing environment
8 > >> might ease some of my of the spoilage I've experienced in Visual
9 > >> Studio for C++. I'll be checking it out. It'll mean learning emacs,
10 > >> though...
11 > >
12 > > If you like Visual Studio, try Geany or KDevelop. The former is a Gtk+
13 > > program, so runs natively under GNOME, Xfce and LXDE, while the latter
14 > > is a Qt suite that runs natively under KDE. Both are *way* slicker
15 > > than Emacs or vim, but do require a graphical desktop. [Both vim and
16 > > Emacs can run in a text console.]
17 >
18 > I'm not touching KDE again for a while. I got nailed pretty bad with a
19 > NVidia/Konsole/KWin, and I really wasn't using much of KDE.
20 >
21 > That said, I might poke KDevelop again; I haven't poked it in years.
22 > Geany is new since I last dug around.
23 >
24 > I do like text environments, though.
27 > > You might also start reading comp.os.linux.development.apps on Usenet,
28 > > if you don't already do so.
29 >
30 > Keeping up with this list is hard enough! But, thanks. :)
34 > --
35 > :wq
38 I do not know the state of Geanny since I last checked (couple of years
39 ago), but the highlight capabilites of KDevelop got my eye. It highlights
40 local variables in different colors in the same context, so something like
41
42 int foo(float bar, float baz) {
43 }
44
45 will have bar and baz in different colors. Also, support for CMake in
46 KDevelop got really great and useful. Plus, it supports debugging inside the
47 editor. Its awesome.
51 Leonardo