From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] crazy KDE4 panel
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 23:55:45
1 On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Andrew Gaydenko <a@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 02 May 2009 16:23:48 Stroller wrote:
3 >> On 2 May 2009, at 09:39, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
4 >> >> ...
5 >> >> Looks like an overheating GPU to me.
6 >> >>
7 >> >> Do you have accelerated graphics on for those panels?
8 >> >> I'll bet if you turn it off the problem will disappear.
9 >> >
10 >> > Say, bottom panel hasn't something special: std menu, lancelot,
11 >> > tasks, tray
12 >> > and clock. Can overheating be such selectable? - I mean only KDE4
13 >> > panels-
14 >> > related problem takes place (say, my sone plays few games without any
15 >> > problems, as well as, say, OOo/Qt/KDE and so on emerging ). And I
16 >> > didn't
17 >> > overclocked something. But have added few additional silent coolers
18 >> > inside a
19 >> > case :-)
20 >>
21 >> Can overheating be so selective? I can't say for sure, but I can't see
22 >> it having so much work to do when displaying the wallpaper as if those
23 >> panels fade or slide. I presume they can be auto-hidden one way or the
24 >> other when not in use, and that effects would be enabled by default if
25 >> you have GPU acceleration available.
26 >>
27 >> Speckles are somewhat characteristic, and most any videogamer will
28 >> recognise them - once you've had a graphics card or a Playstation
29 >> (type) console die on you, they are very recognisable.
30 >>
31 >> The emerging won't have any effect on speckles, only GPU-related
32 >> activity. It depends on the particular games that your son plays
33 >> whether I'd say they're relevant. I'm no expert on Linux graphics (I
34 >> don't use it on the desktop myself), but I'd guess TuxRacer probably
35 >> does use the GPU whereas Frozen Bubble does not.
36 >>
37 >> If you're able to turn the GPU's acceleration features off in X11 (or
38 >> the kernel?) and just treat it as a framebuffer device, then please
39 >> prove me wrong!
40 >>
41 >> Stroller.
44 > OK, as Stroller has suggested, I have cleaned heatsink, replaced heat-
45 > conducting paste and so on. Now it would be nice to have something for quick
46 > GPU load testing (instead of long-long KDE session). Can anybody suggest an
47 > appropriate sw or, may be, some game with "hard and heavy" (wrt GPU load)
48 > demo?
49
50 use the overclocking tweaks in nvidia-settings to blow it up :P