From: Andrew Gaydenko <a@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] crazy KDE4 panel
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 17:32:31
1 On Saturday 02 May 2009 16:23:48 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 2 May 2009, at 09:39, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
3 > >> ...
4 > >> Looks like an overheating GPU to me.
5 > >>
6 > >> Do you have accelerated graphics on for those panels?
7 > >> I'll bet if you turn it off the problem will disappear.
8 > >
9 > > Say, bottom panel hasn't something special: std menu, lancelot,
10 > > tasks, tray
11 > > and clock. Can overheating be such selectable? - I mean only KDE4
12 > > panels-
13 > > related problem takes place (say, my sone plays few games without any
14 > > problems, as well as, say, OOo/Qt/KDE and so on emerging ). And I
15 > > didn't
16 > > overclocked something. But have added few additional silent coolers
17 > > inside a
18 > > case :-)
19 >
20 > Can overheating be so selective? I can't say for sure, but I can't see
21 > it having so much work to do when displaying the wallpaper as if those
22 > panels fade or slide. I presume they can be auto-hidden one way or the
23 > other when not in use, and that effects would be enabled by default if
24 > you have GPU acceleration available.
25 >
26 > Speckles are somewhat characteristic, and most any videogamer will
27 > recognise them - once you've had a graphics card or a Playstation
28 > (type) console die on you, they are very recognisable.
29 >
30 > The emerging won't have any effect on speckles, only GPU-related
31 > activity. It depends on the particular games that your son plays
32 > whether I'd say they're relevant. I'm no expert on Linux graphics (I
33 > don't use it on the desktop myself), but I'd guess TuxRacer probably
34 > does use the GPU whereas Frozen Bubble does not.
35 >
36 > If you're able to turn the GPU's acceleration features off in X11 (or
37 > the kernel?) and just treat it as a framebuffer device, then please
38 > prove me wrong!
39 >
40 > Stroller.
43 OK, as Stroller has suggested, I have cleaned heatsink, replaced heat-
44 conducting paste and so on. Now it would be nice to have something for quick
45 GPU load testing (instead of long-long KDE session). Can anybody suggest an
46 appropriate sw or, may be, some game with "hard and heavy" (wrt GPU load)
47 demo?