From: Dutch Ingraham <stoa@×××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] basic grub question
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 16:03:26
1 On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 11:52:57AM -0400, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Wednesday 15 Jun 2016 11:05:13 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > You can't use the nouveau drivers and the nvidia driver at the same
7 > > > time, so this is the problem. I did try that once, but at the time
8 > > > which was quite a while ago, it didn't work.
9 > >
10 > > Perhaps I've missed it, but is there any reason you must have nvidia-drivers
11 > > rather than nouveau?
12 >
13 > I have a nvidia card, so I need the nvidia drivers, unless I am missinng
14 > something?
15
16 The nvidia drivers are the proprietary drivers produced by NVIDIA; the
17 nouveau drivers are the open-source version. Typically, the nouveau
18 driver works as well as the nouveau, except in some high-intensity
19 (generally 3D) environments. As you know, you cannot use both at the
20 same time, but you can have them installed at the same time. Just
21 blacklist the kernel modules of one or the other to test each.