From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] basic grub question
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 16:57:51
1 Dutch Ingraham <stoa@×××.us> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 11:52:57AM -0400, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > > Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > On Wednesday 15 Jun 2016 11:05:13 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
7 > > >
8 > > > > You can't use the nouveau drivers and the nvidia driver at the same
9 > > > > time, so this is the problem. I did try that once, but at the time
10 > > > > which was quite a while ago, it didn't work.
11 > > >
12 > > > Perhaps I've missed it, but is there any reason you must have nvidia-drivers
13 > > > rather than nouveau?
14 > >
15 > > I have a nvidia card, so I need the nvidia drivers, unless I am missinng
16 > > something?
17 >
18 > The nvidia drivers are the proprietary drivers produced by NVIDIA; the
19 > nouveau drivers are the open-source version. Typically, the nouveau
20 > driver works as well as the nouveau, except in some high-intensity
21 > (generally 3D) environments. As you know, you cannot use both at the
22 > same time, but you can have them installed at the same time. Just
23 > blacklist the kernel modules of one or the other to test each.
24
25 If I wanted to do that, do I need to change opengl to xorg to use
26 nouveau?
29 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
30 How do
31 you spend it?
32
33 John Covici