From: Dutch Ingraham <stoa@×××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] basic grub question
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 17:32:33
1 On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 12:57:40PM -0400, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > Dutch Ingraham <stoa@×××.us> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 11:52:57AM -0400, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
5 > > > Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > > > On Wednesday 15 Jun 2016 11:05:13 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
8 > > > >
9 > > > > > You can't use the nouveau drivers and the nvidia driver at the same
10 > > > > > time, so this is the problem. I did try that once, but at the time
11 > > > > > which was quite a while ago, it didn't work.
12 > > > >
13 > > > > Perhaps I've missed it, but is there any reason you must have nvidia-drivers
14 > > > > rather than nouveau?
15 > > >
16 > > > I have a nvidia card, so I need the nvidia drivers, unless I am missinng
17 > > > something?
18 > >
19 > > The nvidia drivers are the proprietary drivers produced by NVIDIA; the
20 > > nouveau drivers are the open-source version. Typically, the nouveau
21 > > driver works as well as the nouveau, except in some high-intensity
22 > > (generally 3D) environments. As you know, you cannot use both at the
23 > > same time, but you can have them installed at the same time. Just
24 > > blacklist the kernel modules of one or the other to test each.
25 >
26 > If I wanted to do that, do I need to change opengl to xorg to use
27 > nouveau?
28
29 I'm sure there are xorg and graphics experts on this list more suited to
30 answer this than me, but they would likely need a lot more information
31 on your installed applications to fully answer.
32
33 A good place to start would be the Arch Linux Wiki on nouveau [1], which
34 seems to indicate some mesa packages would be needed for opengl support.
35
36 [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/nouveau