From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Binary package server questions
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 06:02:59
1 On Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 00:22:51 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 18:34:47 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > Reading https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Binary_package_guide still leaves
4 > >
5 > > me uncertain. I have an ancient 32-bit Atom netbook. I've installed
6 > > uclibc-ng Gentoo on it. Building big packages on it is a pain. I can
7 > > do an identical install in a QEMU VM, and distcc into it. But that
8 > > doesn't catch all compiling work.
9 > >
10 > > What I'd like to do is build binaries in a chroot on my desktop,
11 > >
12 > > assuming a 32-bit uclibc-ng chroot on a 64-bit glibc host is possible.
13 > > Because the cpus are different, I would need to use different CFLAGS
14 > > (and CXXFLAGS) variables for when the host updates its own files, versus
15 > > when it builds files for the netbook.
16 >
17 > If the chroot is identical to your netbooks's install in terms of
18 > *FLAGS, USE, @world etc, then yes. I used to do it this way when I had an
19 > Atom netbook. I even build for a low memory 486 system in the same way.
20
21 You'll need to run in 32bit mode when chrooting of course:
22
23 linux32 chroot /mnt/Atom_Build_env /bin/bash
24 source /etc/profile
25 export PS1="(Atom_Build) $PS1"
28 > > Finally, is it possible for the client (the netbook) to notify the
29 > >
30 > > host that it needs certain packages built? I plan to run with
31 > > "--getbinpkgonly" on the netbook.
32 >
33 > You don't need to if the systems are the same. Set both systems to use
34 > the same $PKGDIR, set FEATURES=buildpkg in the chroot and do a world
35 > update. Then do the same update on the netbook but with -K.
36 >
37 > I used a script to control this that basically synced world and most
38 > of /etc/portage before entering the chroot, although I later switched to
39 > using containers as they make life so much easier.
40 >
41 > Oh, and you don't need a package server, just export PKGDIR via NFS and
42 > mount it on the netbook.
43
44 Or, if you can't be bothered with the extra work to set up NFS, copy the
45 contents of the PKGDIR from the chroot'ed system to the Atom after you
46 finished building all the chroot'ed binary packages, then emerge world in the
47 Atom.
48 --
49 Regards,
50 Mick