From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Binary package server questions
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 08:37:42
1 On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 06:02:24 +0000, Mick wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 00:22:51 Neil Bothwick wrote:
4
5 > > If the chroot is identical to your netbooks's install in terms of
6 > > *FLAGS, USE, @world etc, then yes. I used to do it this way when I
7 > > had an Atom netbook. I even build for a low memory 486 system in the
8 > > same way.
9 >
10 > You'll need to run in 32bit mode when chrooting of course:
11 >
12 > linux32 chroot /mnt/Atom_Build_env /bin/bash
13 > source /etc/profile
14 > export PS1="(Atom_Build) $PS1"
15
16 I'm pretty sure I didn't do this. CHOST was set to 32 bit so I got 32 bit
17 binaries, but full use of the 64 bits for compiling.
18
19 > > Oh, and you don't need a package server, just export PKGDIR via NFS
20 > > and mount it on the netbook.
21 >
22 > Or, if you can't be bothered with the extra work to set up NFS, copy
23 > the contents of the PKGDIR from the chroot'ed system to the Atom after
24 > you finished building all the chroot'ed binary packages, then emerge
25 > world in the Atom.
26
27 Setting up the NFS share is a one off task, copying PKGDIR would have to
28 be done every time. Also, the Atom netbooks usually had very limited
29 storage, and PKGDIR can get very big.
33 Neil Bothwick
34
35 The considered application of terror is also a form of communication.