From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Internet providers' IP range (xinetd.conf)
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 17:19:57
1 On Wednesday 02 September 2009 21:11:20 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Helmut Jarausch<jarausch@××××××.be> wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I'd like to allow remote access (via ssh only) to a given machine.
6 > > Unfortunately, my remote IP is dynamic and reverse lookup
7 > > (e.g. specifying only_from = .skynet.be in /etc/xinetd.conf) doesn't
8 > > work. So, I have to find out which IP ranges are used by a given
9 > > internet provider (e.g. skynet.be).
10 > >
11 > > Does anybody know how to find out?
12 > >
13 > > Many thanks for a hint,
14 > > Helmut.
15 >
16 > Easiest way: ask them to tell you the ranges :) Otherwise would be
17 > guessing. You can look at arin (or local equivalent) to see which IP
18 > range(s) they own. But nobody knows for sure other than them.
19
20 Two solutions:
21
22 1. Put your host into dyndns and ssh to that name
23
24 2. You can ask peering routers for an ISP's IP range (it's public info and has
25 to be that way). I forget the exact commands, but a mail thread on a different
26 list covered this exact thing a while ago. You'll have to search the Glug-tech
27 mail archives at http://www.linux.org.za/Lists-Archives/ from about 6 to 9
28 months back.
29
30 Relevant search terms are "jinx" and "jaco kroon"
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com