From: Luis Gustavo Vilela de Oliveira <luisgustavo.vilela@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD configuration
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 16:16:23
1 I think u misunderstand, i belive that what Schuster have is tmpfs always
2 mounted on /var/tmp/portage, and PORTAGE_TMPDIR will be that.
3 When he need more than 8Gb in some package PORTAGE_TMPDIR will be
4 /var/portage/tmp and that on HDD.
5
6 What i have is /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs config in fstab with noauto, so
7 when i want to emerge a lot of things i mount that.
10 2012/11/26 Jacques Montier <jmontier@×××××.com>
11
12 > 2012/11/26 Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
13 >
14 >> Luis Gustavo Vilela de Oliveira writes:
15 >>
16 >> Well, with 8Gb RAM, i recommend use tmpfs on PORTAGE_TMPDIR, just while
17 >>> u are compiling anything.
18 >>> Or even with 6Gb too.
19 >>>
20 >>
21 >> I have 16 GB, with 8GB for $PORTAGE_TMPDIR on tmpfs. There were issues
22 >> with some packages having not enough space, so I have this in
23 >> /etc/portage/package.env:
24 >>
25 >> app-office/libreoffice notmpfs.conf
26 >> dev-java/icedtea notmpfs.conf
27 >> games-fps/alienarena notmpfs.conf
28 >> games-fps/worldofpadman notmpfs.conf
29 >> games-sports/vdrift notmpfs.conf
30 >> mail-client/thunderbird notmpfs.conf
31 >> www-client/firefox notmpfs.conf
32 >>
33 >> /etc/portage/env.d/notmpfs.**conf has this entry, changing
34 >> PORTAGE_TMPDIR to real HDD space:
35 >>
36 >> PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/portage/**tmp
37 >>
38 >> Most of these packages compile with 8 GB of space, but not with parallel
39 >> merges, like when Thunderbird and Firefox are both being built at the same
40 >> time.
41 >>
42 >> Alex
46 > Ok Alex and Luis,
47 >
48 > So i put :
49 > PORTAGE_TMPDIR="tmpfs" in /etc/make.conf
50 > PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp/portage (on HDD) in /etc/portage/env
51 > in /etc/portage/package.env :
52 > app-office/libreoffice notmpfs.conf
53 > mail-client/thunderbird notmpfs.conf
54 > www-client/firefox notmpfs.conf
55 >
56 > Thanks to both of you :-)
57 >